Labrador puppies are not usually taken home before they are eight weeks old.Their life expectancy is generally 10 to 12 years, and is a healthy breed with relatively few serious problems. Significant problems related to health and wellness are:
- Labradors are prone to hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia a little, "especially the larger dogs, although not as much as some other breeds. Hip rating is recommended before breeding common supplements are often recommended .
- Labs also suffer the risk of knee problems. Luxating patella is a common occurrence in the knee, where the displacement of the knee in place.
- Eye problems are also possible in some Labrador, retinal atrophy especially progressive, cataracts, corneal dystrophy and retinal dysplasia. Dogs that will occur should be examined by a veterinary ophthalmologist for an eye score.
- Hereditary myopathy, an inherited disorder that causes a deficiency of type II muscle fibers. Symptoms include a small step with blisters or "hiccups" and the rare cases of neck ventroflexion accompanied by kyphosis.
- There is a low incidence of other diseases such as autoimmune diseases and deafness in Labrador, either congenital or in the future.
- Labradors often suffer from exercise-induced collapse, a syndrome that causes hyperthermia, weakness, collapse, and disorientation after short periods of exercise.
Labradors who love to eat and without adequate exercise, can become obese. Laziness also contributes to this. Obesity is a serious disease and may be considered the number one nutritional problem in dogs. One study shows that at least 25% of dogs in the United States are obese. So the farmers must be properly exercised and stimulated. A healthy Labrador sprint can swim for two hours, and must maintain a very slight hourglass life and be fit and light, rather than fat or heavy set. Obesity can aggravate conditions such as hip dysplasia and joint problems, and can lead to secondary diseases such as diabetes. Osteoarthritis is common in the elderly, especially in overweight Labrador. A study covering 14 years of 48 dogs have shown that the food manufacturer Purina-fed farmers a way to maintain lean survived the freely fed for about two years, highlighting the importance of not overfeeding. [Neutrality is challenged] Labrador, must be traversed twice daily for at least half an hour.